We organise other types of trip upon request. Trips can be varied in itinerary or length and longer stays in the forest can be planned. The practically unexplored zones of the forest can be visited by agreement with the Ivindo Park.
GETTING TO MAKOKOU
By taxi brousse or Bus:
There are a number of buses and taxis brousse that depart everyday from Libreville for Makokou. The Société gabonaise de Transport runs 1 or 2 50-seater buses to Makoko everyday. The société Etoile Transport, JC Transport, Dino Transport, and others leave from Libreville to Makoko everyday. Allow about 10-12hours journey time. Tickets about cost 15-20.000 Fcfa/person.
train from Libreville to Boué (night train, arriving at 3am), then taxi brousse booked in advanced for Makokou (3-4 hour).
flight from Libreville – Makokou (not available since 2015, but could be an option).
SEASONS / CLIMATE – MAKOKOU REGION
Long dry season (July-September):
infrequent rainfalls, mild temperatures (22/25°C), not much sunlight: poor photographic opportunities owing to scarce daytime illumination.
Short dry season: (December-February):
scarce rainfalls and plenty of sunlight.
Wet season (rest of the year):
frequent rainfalls, variable temperatures and abundant sunlight for photos.
Please contact us regarding equipment necessary.
- Medical and Travel Insurance are required for the trip
- strong (soles) walking boots, a supply of socks (especially in the rainy season as they get wet easily)
- light-weight long trousers (easy to dry), long-sleeved shirts; avoid brightly coloured clothes (green, grey, beige and brown are best)
- swimming costume
- poncho or lightweight rain-jacket (especially in the rainy season, but also in the short dry season)
- light-weight sleeping bag
- light-weight tent (please, contact us for advice)
- small capacity backpack (30-40 litre), plus a 60 litre backpack for food and extra luggage, carried by the guides
- sun cream
- insect repellent
- anti-malaria pills
BOOKING OR INFO
Dr. Joseph Okouyi Okouyi
Tel: (241) 07.90.55.13
Tel: (241) 06.06.82.47
Tel: (241) 06.07.56.80
NB: To book a trip please write to Dr. Joseph Okouyi Okouyi in French or English
TRIPS AND COSTS
IVINDO KONGOU and